[78-L] 12 O'Clock Jump...?!

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 20:48:44 PST 2009

   ... too bad there were no "concept albums" in 1941, for if there were there should have been an album of 1 to 12 o clock jumps by the Savoy Sultans, it would have been the perfect band, great phrasing, good soloists (Massenberg, Jenkins, Williams, not to mention the various tenor men like George Kelly, Skinny Williams and I am biased to Lonnie Simmons*, since I knew him) and not too harmonically advanced ... kinda like the Sultans, one of my favorite bands even if they lacked subtlety
Yves

* Lonnie Simmons takes good solos with Fats Waller's big band (Scronch) and Jabbo Smith (the 1938 session, about the only example where I feel we hear Jabbo with a band that PHRASES in the same genre even if the material is not in the class of the Brunswicks, the 1929 sides he is so advanced rhythmically over the rhythmic motivation of the bands on the record dates IMHO)