[78-L] Pins and holes (was: RIP Vivienne DellaChiesa)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jan 21 14:25:32 PST 2009

David Lewis wrote:
> . . . she made those early vinyl Silvertone 78s, the red plastic records with the extra hole. I'm pretty sure I've run into one of the players designed to play those records; it was frustrating, as you couldn't play other records on them owing to the extra spindle. Anyone know more about this ridiculous technological sidelight?

Sears/Silvertone marketed disc cutters in that era, and I have wondered
if the hole would have mated with drive pins -- I've never measured
them.  If that is all that was marketed with an extra pin for the
Silvertones, they would all have had retractable pins.  Even the early
Zonophones had retractable pins.  The only ones that didn't were the
Busy Bees.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com