[78-L] Obama quotes Dorothy Fields (not OT, the song was on 78)

Martha mlk402 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 21 01:49:40 PST 2009

Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:23 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Obama quotes Dorothy Fields (not OT, the song was on 78)

> I've seen the movie 20 times.   I meant your remark about Jolson movies.
> Could you explain?

 I am guessing that if Jolson has been known only as "a Jewish man who got
rich by making fun of Blacks", which is the PC definition his career, that
I'd expect him to be completely forbidden for at least the next 4 years.  I
haven't seen a positive thing written about Jolson in the mainstream press
for a while.  It'll be enlightening to see if Turner schedules any movies
with blackface scenes, as they've bravely (or foolishly) done for the past
few years.    Everything today sounded like it was about race race race - if
we're so unconcerned about 'Color", why keep dwelling on it??  When it's no
big deal and not worth mentioning, THEN something will have been
accomplished.

  Yes yes, we all know that Blackface is supposed to be 'bad' and
'disrespectful',  but if you pay attention to Jolson's performances, he did
not make fun at all - his most heart-rending (over the top, if you will)
performances were about love for Mother, love for Home, love for a simple
life.  Nothing negative, that I can recall. A little research will reveal
that Al was well respected in the Black community of his time - he was no
racist.