[78-L] Obama quotes Dorothy Fields (not OT, the song was on 78)

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 16:06:00 PST 2009

Judging from the story in my inbox ahead of your posting I was going to say that Wall Street agreed with you, but from the looks of this story it seems that a down day for the Dow on inauguration day is the norm no matter who is taking the oath.
=-=

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5V1uZGh6GfrdvDJZPqGVZwC5RxwD95R586O0
 -=-
A look at Wall Street's moves on Inauguration Days
By The Associated Press – 1 hour ago
The Dow Jones industrial average typically falls on presidential Inauguration Days. Tuesday's steep drop in the blue chips 332.13 points or 4.01 percent, was the worst in the post-war era.
A year into presidents' terms, the market has tended to show a mixed performance.
Here is a look at how the Dow has done in percentage terms on Inauguration Days, and how far it has advanced or fallen a year later.
President Year Inauguration Day 1 year later
Barack Obama (D) 2009 -4.01
George W. Bush (R) 2001 -0.09 -7.62
George W. Bush 2005 -0.65 1.87
Bill Clinton 1997 0.16 15.04
Bill Clinton (D) 1993 -0.43 20.05
George H. W. Bush (R) 1989 -0.17 19.80
Ronald Reagan 1985 2.77 21.23
Ronald Reagan (R) 1981 2.09 -11.02
Jimmy Carter (D) 1977 -1.00 -18.99
Gerald Ford (R) 1974 0.97 5.20
Richard Nixon 1973 -0.72 -16.03
Richard Nixon (R) 1969 -0.46 -16.47
Lyndon B. Johnson 1965 -0.11 10.33
Lyndon B. Johnson (D) 1963 -2.89 25.19
John F. Kennedy (D) 1961 0.31 10.46
Dwight Eisenhower 1957 -0.33 -6.01
Dwight Eisenhower (R) 1953 0.36 0.40
-=-=-
I wonder if the savvy investors are all glued to their TV sets and the worry warts are the only ones who show for work on inauguration days.

All that speculation aside, I have not seen this much fear on the part of the populace since 9/11/01.  This young whipper snapper has a lot to answer for in the future.  I didn't vote for him, but he has my respect for at least 100 days.

78 Content: 78s were phased out during the presidency of the earliest president shown on this story.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.