[78-L] Altschuler pressings? Also Kingdom of Swing

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jan 18 20:23:05 PST 2009

Re: Altschuler pressings...are these the ones which are usually one-sided,
with the information written in a sort of wide-tip marker-type pen?

I just bought another unissued record I never thought I'd get on 78...the
April 1939 Goodman Victor of The Kingdom of Swing...a fave since I first
heard it on LP some 40 years ago.  I think it might be an "Altschuler" but
don't know.

The Connor and Hicks book states that Goodman was not pleased with the thing
and did not want it issued at the time (right before he moved to Columbia).
It's a pretty simple series of riffs but I always thought it showed off the
band and Goodman very well...wonder why BG didn't like it?  Shows off Buddy
Schutz to good effect as well,  although some have told me they never liked
his drumming.

Taylor B