[78-L] Original Sound of the 20s~Frances Williams

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jan 17 21:36:02 PST 2009

Rodger Holtin wrote:
> Yes, I didn't know about the Gershwin edit until that record showed up on one of those Rockefeller New World albums.

Remember, this was the era when reissues were occasionally altered.  I
think it was Brad McCuen who edited together three Bix solos on the
Victor Bix album because Victor would not let him put three complete
alternate takes on one LP.  And then there is the infamous edit in the
Smithsonian issue of Gershwin playing "The Man I Love" that Martin
Williams had Jack Towers do.  Martin did other edits in that series to
remove someone who was not an original cast member.  I've told that
story here before.

> The most obvious edit is the opener to the Buddy Rogers record, "this is my first recording...,"  Why, oh why, would they do that??  (And what record did they lift it from?)

I had thought it might have been from the test groovings on the outside
edge of Columbia masters, but that question has already been answered.
So this was NOT his first recording??

> My ear says maybe they chopped of the ending of Rudy Vallee's "Outside" and Cliff Edwards' "Sunday," also.  Having not run into originals or other reissues of these titles, I have no idea.

I have them and I think they are not cut.

> What else was edited?

Helen Morgan's Bill.  There's also a speed glich I seem to recall.  I
could never understand this because I know they worked off of metal
parts.  I think someone screwed up the production cutting tape and
didn't admit it, just altered it.

> I agree about the Willard Robison being such a fine record, and I, too, would guess that the Francis Williams is much later than the 1920's, but still an interesting item.

The album producers ran around with a very Posh society, and the
sophistication of it fit right in with their theory of the 20s closing
and leading into the 30s.

> One of my favorites is the twin piano version of "Kitten on the Keys."  I've never heard another version that measures up anywhere near close to that one.

Not even Confrey's own recordings?

>  Pity it's acoustical, but notice that it is one of only three acoustics on the whole album, and well worth the effort.

I think there is a comment about it in the booklet, but these were
better years for Columbia than the early 20s had been.

> Sophie Tucker's unissued autobiographical version of "Some of These Days" is worth the price of the album.  The guy who wrote the booklet said the inclusion of Bix's "In A Mist" was worth the price of the album, and he was right, too.

But it confused me.  I had never heard of him before (but had HEARD him
without knowing it) and I thought he was a horn player but here he was
playing the piano.  Huh???

>  The copy they put on The Bix Beiderbecke Story Vol 3 "(Whiteman Days") was so muddy that the brighter if slightly gritty copy on C3L-35 was well worth the price.

After I fugured out he WAS a horn player, I bought all three of the
Columbia albums and the RCA Victor one.

> Still don't understand why "Home on the Range" made the list, but all in all, it was a very good example of what a great reissue could be - a true masterpiece.

Somebody there had a tiff with Annette, so there was none of her on the
album and it took me another five years to find her.

>   "I would have paid list for it."  ($12.00)
>
> I bought mine at the age of 14 via mail order from Chesterfield Music, with $8.40 of lawn mowing money.

I guess I would have been 16.  I saw it listed in the Columbia Record
Club booklet and couldn't wait so I went to Sam Goody's Paramus and
bought it then and there.
>   I threw away the original flyer that I ordered it from just a few years ago.

I probably have the CRC flyer if it wasn't in the box that got swamped.
>  It inspired me to drum up more clientele, and look for old Columbia records.

I had so many of the Victor records they had reissued and would continue
on the Vintage Series, but I had NONE of the records in this set.  Still
only have about 7 or 8 of them.

> Looking at the discography confirmed for me the relationship I had suspected between Columbia, Harmony, Okeh, but Perfect was a surprise.  Not long after, I got my copy of the Perfect Catalog from Record Research, and that's another thread.

I have it right here because I was looking up something in it about a
record that I have Lenny Kunstadt showing Carl Kendziora at a Syndicate
meeting I have on videotape and this clip is included in Leah's
documentary.  A Bix record, of course.  Carl died three months later.
> Ah, the good old days.
>
> Rodger

Yeah, I remember when I was healthy enough to mow a lawn.  Now it would
kill me.

> For Best Results use Victor Needles.

Not on THIS set!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com