[78-L] Why we collect

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jan 15 16:47:55 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Smith" <malcolms at redshift.com>
> What was most remarkable about him was that he could find individual
> records. I needed an obscure pop record by a little known artist for
> someone I knew. The sort of thing that isn't in collections. He
> quickly came up with it.

This would suggest that either he had his records well organized (I intend
to use my retirement years to do exactly that, with the aid of a modern
computer...!!)--OR--he had an incredible memory (just as did the late
Jeff Healey...he didn't file his records in a complicated system, but
nevertheless could ALWAYS tell you IF he had a given 78...as well
as lay his hands on it if your inquiry so required...!!)!

...stevenc