[78-L] Blues on the radio

George Jones George_27674 at msn.com
Tue Jan 13 19:12:55 PST 2009

Rainer,
I saw your post on 78-L archive, but since I am not a member of the list I couldn't post directly to the list.  You had asked the question about when (black) vocal blues recordings were first performed on the radio.  You may only be interested in when commercial phonograph records were played, but I thought this live radio performance by a blues singer might also be of interest to you if you have not already heard the recording.  The Edison National Historic Site has an aircheck  that they made on May 15, 1928 of the blues singer Martha Copeland on a New York radio program "The Eveready Hour".  This recording can be heard at the following link http://wfmu.org/playlists/TE.  The recording is contained in the November 18, 2003 show and starts at about 20 minutes into the radio program.