[78-L] Columbia question

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jan 13 19:52:09 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrea Walsh" <petquality1 at gmail.com>
> Sorry my transfer is so poor- I may not be playing it with the proper
> needle, but I only have one, the Shure N78S.
> Oh my post link for this record and a few other bits of sales silliness
> and
> oddities is here:
> http://twindowlicker.livejournal.com/314854.html

Is the mysterious Columbia disc a 12-inch record?!

Per the Columbia "demonstration" record(s)...in addition to the one whose
content you post ("The puh-pose of this r-r-rec-ohd is to dem-on-strate
the Co-lum-bee-yah double disc r-r-rec-ohd...") there was a later one
which sold for 25 cents...and a Canadian version which sold for THIRTY
cents...and of course, good old Columbia 1-S (whose sleeve may be more
common than the disc...?!). I also own a Perfect demo record, and a Gennett
ditto...and the special 1940 Okeh record which announces that the Okeh
record was going to replace the Vocalions with "this release!"

...stevenc