[78-L] Early Blues in Europe (finished answer)

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 17:01:28 PST 2009

 Rainer
  I started writing a sentence, and (due to the fact that I was out shoveling the snow  out of the back alleyway), hit the wrong button and a very incomplete answer to your question emerged.
   Mezz Mezzrow was the person who introduced Panassie to the vocal blues. He was a great fan of Bessie Smith and  Ethel Waters (whom I would consider a jazz singer), and this led Hughes (who had a wonderful ability to find out music he would be interested in, more than anything else, it was his determination to find out everything about jazz and blues that made him such a force in early jazz critique) to further investigate what else was out there. Certainly Mezz is the one who first captivated Hughes with regard to vocal blues. I would think Delaney in the early days, was quite under Hughes influence. I do not know if Goffin etc were investigating such matters (was Spike Hughes, I do not think so, though I could be terribly wrong here), though I would think it to be possible. However, to most people , even in the USA, the vocal blues recordings probably sounded foreign, the way Arabic,Turkish or Chinese folk music would to an uneducated (maybe I should
 say uninformed to listening to musics based on non tempered tonalities) western ear.
All the best
Yves Francois