[78-L] Early Blues in Europe

Birgit Lotz Verlag Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de
Tue Jan 13 13:02:04 PST 2009

Thanks to all who were kind enough to offer thoughts and facts.
I always wondered whether US radio stations aired "race" records before
the 1950s. The irony is that Gunter Boas - a German record collector,
jazz pianist and blues vocalist - upon being freed from Buchenwald
concentration camp (he had listened to enemy radio) moderated "Blues for
Monday", a radio program entirely devoted to classic vocal blues on AFN,
from 1949 through to 1957. He might well have been the first person
anywhere in the world to have done so, can anyone prove me wrong?
And I am still curious how Panassie, Delaunay, et al knew about vocal
blues 78s...

Rainer E. Lotz
Birgit Lotz Verlag
Jean Paul Str. 6
53173 Bonn (Germany)
from 01 Feb 2009: Rotdornweg 81, 53177 Bonn
Tel: 0049-228-352808
Fax: 0049-228-365142
Web: www.lotz-verlag.de