[78-L] PS - Re: Columbia question

oldsound2002 oldsound2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 11:29:53 PST 2009

--- On Tue, 1/13/09, oldsound2002 <oldsound2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
From: oldsound2002 <oldsound2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Columbia question
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks Andrea.  Fascinating.  The content is far too narrow for public
distribution--all of it is concerned with the company's products or
personnel--mostly the latter.  Lots of "in" jokes.  The reference to
the company (president?) being in the Navy, together with the fact that this is
a gold band label tells us this is a World War One era-issue.  I would bet,
based on the content that this was almost certainly a Columbia Graphophone Co.
in-house disc produced for distribution to employees--the kind of souvenir
handed out at a company dinner.  Lots of sales and production names
mentioned.  If any list members have listings of company officers at Columbia
during this period, these names could be cross-referenced.  Yes, I would
venture this was handed out at some company function.  Perhaps Arthur Fields
even sang the same melody live at said function and the record was given out for
attendees to take home as a souvenir.  All this is theory, mind
 you, but I feel pretty certain this record dates ca. 1917-1918 and was a
take-home item handed out at some company function.  Hope this helps.
- Tony W

PS -- Of course "Columbia Convention" in the record's title might be a bit of a give-away, too! -TW ;-)