[78-L] Columbia Add-A-Part records.

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 12 20:05:02 PST 2009

That's what they were, an early Music Minus One series. There were enough of
them to take up 5 pages in the 1945 catalog (although they were probably all
from around 1940). The highest album number I see is S-60. There were "easy",
"medium" and "difficult" gradings, single discs and sets, and various
instruments missing..violin, first violin in a quartet, clarinet etc. Although
for the life of me I can't understand their listing symphonic works like
Beethoven's 5th and the Carmen and Peer Gynt Suites under "piano part missing".
Did they just put out the Weingartner and Beecham recordings of these things
and charge 50% extra for the missing non-existent piano parts? Wish I'd thought
of that.

I'd like coffee with no cream.
I'm sorry, we're out of cream, you'll have to take it without milk.
Ba-dum-bum.

dl