[78-L] Columbia question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 12 19:48:54 PST 2009

Per the Columbia Master Books, the 51500 series was "probably a continuation of
the 16000 twelve-inch trials and personals series. Some interesting tests
involving 'transmitters' [sic] took place in this series in March, 1920. Could
have been a radio hookup, or possibly an early attempt at electrical recording?
[See also the 63000s.]

My guess is that this was something recorded for a Columbia convention or sales
meeting or other corporate event..definitely not a commercial issue, but they'd
have to have pressed a few copies even if only one was wanted. Or maybe all the
attendees got a souvenir copy.

dl