[78-L] Blues on the radio

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jan 12 18:38:42 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Birgit Lotz Verlag" <Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de>
> Two questions:
>
> (1) Is it possible to say when a (black) vocal blues record was played
> on the radio for the first time, and where?
> (2) Who hosted the first radio show entirely devoted to (black) vocal
> blues, any country, any language?
>
> ahh, and another question:
> (3) How did European blues enthusiasts during the 20s and 30s most
> likely know about "race records" - direct exposure while traveling in
> the States, or sailors calling on European ports, or through importers
> and distributors of US products, or ??

And a few answers (of the AFAIK sort, though...!):

1) Sadly...most likely NOT! Radio stations are NOT required to log
    each and every record which they play! As well, "race radio" didn't
    exist until (I may be wrong here?!) after WWII; then, B.B. King
    was a "disc jockey" and the original "King Biscuit" ptograms also
    featured blues records played "over the air" as well...?!

2) See #1 above...!

3) That you might be able to answer better than I can...! However,
the record industry of 1920-4? regarded "race records" as they did
ANY sort of "ethnic record"...that is, only the "target" group could/
would be interested therein! Of course, "race records"included
almost all blues...and most ACTUAL jazz...available on disc...and
there WERE white buyers, especially of the latter...!

...stevenc