[78-L] Ginn records

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Jan 10 19:29:57 PST 2009

In 1925 a music appreciation series of 120 records was contracted to
Starr Piano Co. (that is, Gennett) by educational publisher Ginn & Co.
Gennett lost the contract a year later and it was taken over by Columbia.
So, there exists 3 types of records - in both 10" and 12" discs: A)
those recorded and pressed by Gennett; B) those recorded by Gennett but
pressed by Columbia; C) those recorded and pressed by Columbia.
I am currently attempting to separate out who did what and with whom,
with the emphasis on the material produced by Gennett.
Some of the series show up in the Gennett recording ledgers. Others show
as having been recorded for Ginn, but no issue numbers were assigned.
The recordings made by Columbia do not appear in the Gennett ledgers at
all, of course.
I need access to as many of the recordings as can be located. I will
require label scans, runout numbers (if any), record sizes and,
hopefully, scans of the sleeves as well.
For a more elaborate history (but no discography) check out Allen
Sutton's website at
http://www.mainspringpress.com/ginn.html
Anyone willing to help please contact me offlist.
Thanks,
Malcolm Rockwell