[78-L] Spy Records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 10 16:54:31 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <fnarf at comcast.net>
> The stories of wartime recycling of shellac -- from old or unsold records
> (presumably including lots of rare and valuable ones today) -- and the
> inevitable bootlegging of shellac are fascinating. At one point, he says,
> shellac was so valuable that factory workers were smuggling discs home
> under their coats, and goons with baseball bats were stationed outside the
> plant to smack them lightly with a baseball bat, not enough to hurt them
> but enough to send the shards tumbling out onto the ground.

Oddly enough...not as many "rare & valuable" 78's as one might suspect! 78
collecting was
already in full force (per my back-file of "Record Changer")...and many
collection points
were observed by collectors, who had REAL "junk 78's" to trade for any
rarities found
in the "scrap shellac" piles...!

...stevenc