[78-L] RCA Victor reverse side "spider web" etching name?

Mwcpc2 at aol.com Mwcpc2 at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 08:24:03 PST 2009

Somewhere I saw a patent on the subject. The description went into some
detail as to why it was desirable to have a pattern on the "blank" side.

When there were only single-sided or double-sided records, the  pressure,
temperature, time, and size of the shellac charge could be optimized  for the
process. However when one tried to mix single and double pressings, the
difference in texture of the sides caused problems, requiring readjusting the
process. The patterns eliminated the need to adjust the process for the odd  discs.

Many promo or DJ discs simply have blank grooves or a tone on the unused
side, however this would be confusing to the consumer, thus the fancy  patterns.

Mike Csontos

In a message dated 1/7/2009 9:22:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,