[78-L] Pronunciations and odd label misspellings

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 11:07:01 PST 2009

In classic female blues, I've always slightly preferred the Appalachian Tenn./Ga. pronunciation of Bessie Smith/Ida Cox/Ma Rainey/Leola Manning/etc. (admittedly with individual differences) to the Mississippi and Texas inflections of Wallace/Spivey/Mack/Tucker/etc.

Va. is a good case study, being the middle transit point for so much later dissemination, yet retaining regional differences to this day. The Scottish "oat and aboat" continues across the southside of Va., where "fahtha was a fahma who built his hoose and made a holm".

Notice that in New York, law is pronounced "Lar", as in "Lar school", although Ed Sullivan's "rilly big shew" seems to have been his own. And listen to BBC World, supposedly an arbiter of standard UK pronunciation, and hear them consistently say "BBC Wuld".

I guess these differences matter less as global enclosure proceeds apace; as often heard from the working class around Don Chichester's adopted home of Roanoke, Va.:
"ole whale"....

Warren