[78-L] RCA Victor reverse side "spider web" etching name?

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 18:21:59 PST 2009

I doubt that structural integrity would be an issue with vinylite pressings like the ET that I have. I've been told that the belief was that it was helpful to have some sort of texture on the blank side so that the pull between the two stampers would be more equal and there would be fewer problems with discs sticking to one side. As pressing speeds increased and shellac quality decreased I can see where that might apply. That was why some single faced records had a blank label as well.
But this may be urban legend, too. Maybe they just thought it was neat.
David Diehl