[78-L] end of 525-line television ^

Bertrand CHAUMELLE chaumelle at orange.fr
Wed Jan 7 12:28:11 PST 2009

I'm no expert, but I would say that:

-there was no standard in 1939. NTSC *recommended*  525-line to FCC in
March 1941. FCC announced that standard in May 1941 (black and white,
with FM sound).
But then there was the was the FCC freeze from Feb. 1942 to Oct.
'44.regarding transmitters and TV-sets.
In May 1944, James L. Fly (FCC) agreed with CBS: "If we begin to make
525-line equipment now, we'll never upgrade to a higher definition".
Almost all of the sets in use then were 440-line. CBS was working hard
on a color system, they said they were ready but wanted to use UHF
instead of VHF and a 735-line definition.
The first post-war TV-sets were sold to the public beginning Nov. 3,
1946.

-As for mechanical television, the CBS color system which went
commercial from June 25, 1951 to Oct. 20, 1951, WAS mechanical, at
least on the receiving side.

BC