[78-L] Foolish and Irreverant Question for German Collectors

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Wed Jan 7 08:51:36 PST 2009

At 17:32 07.01.2009, you wrote:

>Are there any extant records of the 73rd Regiment band led by Wendelin Kopetzky? He died on May 18, 1899. If not,
>what would be the earliest record of "Egerlaender Regimentsmarsch"? Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

The earliest version I can find is Favorite 1-21136 (mx. 3940-o) by the band of the 51st Austrian Infantry Regiment led by Anton Kutschera. As I haven't yet added all of Kelly's matrix data regarding early Gramophone Co. band recordings to my database, there's a chance G&T had a somewhat earlier version.

Kopetzky himself doesn't seem to have recorded commercially; the 73rd Austrian Regimental Band however cut ten sides for Favorite under direction of Ferda Kohout (probably Kopetzky's successor as bandmaster), but these don't include their own regimental march.

Compared to other German/Austrian marches, I find very few early recordings of this piece (less than a dozen including pre-ww2 electrics).

Chris Zwarg