[78-L] Bessie Mecklem - saxophonist

Andrew Homzy homzy at vax2.concordia.ca
Tue Jan 6 18:14:25 PST 2009

I received important information regarding my question - it comes
from Jerry Fabris, Museum Curator Edison National Historic Site -

"If any of Edison's 1892 recordings of Mecklem survive, they would be
brown
wax cylinders.  No, unfortunately, none survive in the ENHS collection."

So I now ask -

Do any of these brown wax cylinders by Mecklem exist anywhere?

Cheers,

Andrew Homzy, Montréal

On 3-Jan-09, at 10:05 AM, Andrew Homzy wrote:

> I'm teaching a course on the saxophone and would like to find some
> recordings by Bessie Mecklem who recorded for Edison in 1892.
>
> Apparently, these are the first sax recordings ever.
>
> Any further information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew Homzy, Montréal