[78-L] Trivia question/Now confirming the arrest of Louie and Vic

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 13:47:42 PST 2009

Here's a quote from the book "Remembering Bix" by Ralph Berton, Vic's
brother.

"A couple of months back Louis Armstrong, fronting  Les Hite's big band, had
opened at Sebastian's New Cotton Club out in Culver City, across the road
from the MGM lot. Naturally Vic and I were at a ringside table. Louis and
Vic were always a mutual admiration society-each knew, and said to anyone
who cared, that the other was the greatest on his instrument in the world,
ever.
>snip<
Between sets, around midmight Vic and Satch went out in the parking lot to
light up. Vic had a whole can of M-----Golden Leaf he was going to lay on
Louie. They were sitting in Louie's car smoking a j--nt  and rolling some
more when The Man came up behind them and flashed a light into the car, and
a badge, and that was it!
Louie downtown where they spent the night in a cell laughing it up- they
were still high."
There's more about the thousand dollar fine and Abe Lyman talking the judge
out of a serious sentence , finally........
"...............Modified sentences that wouldn't interfere with their
working hours for the next six months. They'd have to sleep in jail hospital
five nights a week" etc.

Al Simmons