[78-L] Trivia question

Glen Richards glenster at 2multiples.com
Tue Jan 6 12:27:19 PST 2009

Hi Andrea,

Thanks to Google, I found this:

Perhaps the best-known nightclub was Frank Sebastian's Cotton Club,
originally known as The Green Mill. Sebastian was already experienced in
the entertainment business before he came to Culver City. In his book
"Out With the Stars, Hollywood Nightlife in the Golden Era," historian
Jim Heimann mentions the already successful Sebastian's Café on Windward
Avenue in Venice.

Sebastian's customers enjoyed "Las Vegas type" acts at his "Cotton Club"
on Washington Boulevard at National. It offered valet parking, three
dance floors, and full orchestras, rivaling the club of the same name in
New York. Louis Armstrong played at Sebastian's Cotton Club, and in
fact, lived on Wade Street in Culver City, in the 1920s. Early residents
Clarita Marquez Young and Charles R. Lugo, identified the house years
ago. The current homeowners have county records showing Armstrong as its
first owner, in 1923. (Glen's note - this is not correct!)

In the April 7, 1999 edition of the International Herald Tribune, there
was a fascinating interview of Lionel Hampton, who had just concluded a
week playing drums in the Meridien Hotel at Porte Maillot. In the
article, Hampton acknowledged that he started out at the age of 18, in
1926 at the Cotton Club in Culver City, California, with Les Hite.
Hampton remembered Sebastian being tired of his old band after a few
years, so he brought in Louis Armstrong to front Les Hite. Hampton
recalled Sebastian's introduction of Armstrong and Hampton as "The
world's greatest trumpet player, Louis Armstrong, with the world's
fastest drummer, Lionel Hampton."

It's from here: http://www.culvercity.org/info/clubs.asp

Glen