[78-L] Subject: Re: Juiced Speeds

mgstill at bellsouth.net mgstill at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 5 11:14:48 PST 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

>One deliberate
>juicing up in a transfer to 78 that's been documented is Al Jolson's first
>Decca, which was because Jack Kapp didn't think it captured the old Jolie.
Thanks.

>Many Capitol 78s in the 40s are running fast..this has been noted in a Nat King Cole
>discography
I've wondered if some of the Capitol country recordings from the 40's weren't also sped up.

>Dickie Valentine's "Finger of Suspicion" was supposedly recorded with the
>singer dubbing to a track that was slowed down slightly because he couldn't hit
>the high notes.
Hah. Good story.

>Some Elvis RCA sides sound WAY fast to my ear,
yeah, "Milk Cow Blues" for instance
>and Johnny Mathis's "Twelfth of Never" sounds as if it was slowed down substantially..the
>timbre of the voice never rings true.
Interesting - I'll listen & compare to his other recordings.

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>

> > my question is about speed changes made to the original recordings
> > before they were put on discs, for the purpose of making them more
> > commercially viable, or for novelty or experimentation.  Margaret G. Still

>As for the latter part of the question, novelty or experimentation, my daughter
>Leah did a recorded term paper on this subject a couple of years ago, and the
>two of us presented an expanded version of it at ARSC in Seattle.  I have the
>video recording of it, but the audio recording is available thru ARSC.

>Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Thank you. I will contact them later this month.

Happy New Year, and thanks to all for your knowledge and fine humor.

Best,
Margaret G. Still