[78-L] Juiced Speeds

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 3 19:41:15 PST 2009

I've noticed speed differences between the LP and 45 versions of some pop
records in the 70s and 80s, but that's not what you were asking. One deliberate
juicing up in a transfer to 78 that's been documented is Al Jolson's first
Decca, which was because Jack Kapp didn't think it captured the old Jolie. Many
Capitol 78s in the 40s are running fast..this has been noted in a Nat King Cole
discography and I found it to be the case on some other recordings from the
late 40s ("Sparky's Music Mix-Up" stands out..the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
is a half tone sharp on the 78).

Dickie Valentine's "Finger of Suspicion" was supposedly recorded with the
singer dubbing to a track that was slowed down slightly because he couldn't hit
the high notes. Some Elvis RCA sides sound WAY fast to my ear, and Johnny
Mathis's "Twelfth of Never" sounds as if it was slowed down substantially..the
timbre of the voice never rings true.

dl