[78-L] Calabrese-Breese/ Lown relationship

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jan 3 17:21:25 PST 2009

I think that the Lown-Vallee relationship was more than just manager and
client.  Somewhere in my boxes of crap I have a flyer or advertising card
for the "Lown-Vallee Agency."   This was a duplicate item from Vallee's
archive which is now at the Thousand Oaks Library.

I've always been curious about the identity of the Lown band musical
director.  For various reasons I'd guessed that it was pianist Chauncey
Grey,  who went on to a very long career as a bandleader in NYC.    Seems
that in bands fronted by personality men,  the piano player was often the
musical director,  e.g. Sid Lippmann with Phil Harris,  Karl Radlach with
Cummins,  etc.  Perhaps Al Goering with Bernie?  I'd love to find some
definite info.

Taylor B