[78-L] Unknown soprano on Polyphon

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Sat Jan 3 11:02:56 PST 2009

At 19:24 03.01.2009, you wrote:

>I have a 10" one-sided white label pressing of "Weylas Gesang" by an unknown soprano with orchestra. From the matrix "1136 ar" I derive that it could be a Polyphon recording from the early 1920s. Who is the singer and was it ever published?

1135 ar is by Grete Stückgold, singing "Er ist's!" also by Hugo Wolf, published as Deutsche Grammophon 62448 (black label), also 20083 (green label); so I assume it is her as well on your test pressing. The coupling for both issues is indeed "Gesang Weyla's", but extant copies use matrix 2403 ar rather than yours. I am not certain whether the earlier version might have been used for the first edition of either pressing

Estimated recording dates would be September 1921 for 1135/36 ar, and May 1923 for 2403 ar.

Chris Zwarg