[78-L] Exciting announcement [FWD]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jan 2 17:28:15 PST 2009

Mike Harkin wrote:
> Still trying to figure out how to bring up the advertising pages.

The ads are there for all but the earliest years.  They explained in
their search home page that the bound volumes they used had deleted the
covers and the double-faced full pages of ads in the earlier years and
that they are looking for copies with the missing pages.  But I don't
think they are indexed, so you just have to look -- but this system does
make it difficult to browse.

Steve Ramm reminded me that this is also a way to find Letters to the
Editor we had published, when he forwarded to me a summary of a nasty
letter that had been written about a parenthetical phrase in my original
letter.  Gramophone had announced that they were no longer going to list
deletions and I told them that SERIOUS collectors were more interested
in the deletions list than new releases listings.  In passing I
mentioned that I had 50,000 records and this guy discussed only that --
saying that nobody needed more than 400 records.  But nobody knows about
the original subject under discussion because THE ENTIRE ISSUE THAT
CONTAINED MY LETTER IS MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!  His letter is in August 1993
and mine should have been found in the June 1993 issue, but I bet
Gramophone is too embarrassed to post my reasons why they don't
understand SERIOUS collectors.  But why lose the entire issue just to
suppress my letter???  All that is left is his repeating that I accused
the magazine of not understanding  serious collectors but my reasoning
is GONE!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com