[78-L] Deep Ellum Blues

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Fri Jan 2 09:34:53 PST 2009

RAY KILCOYNE wrote:
>>> I took the caret off to bring this pronunciation thread back on topic (the
>>> subject should probably be changed too).
>>> Listening to Radio Dismuke over the holiday I heard them pronounce the
>>> Gennett Record label as JEN-ett (said quickly).
>>> I have never seen one of them, but I've read all about them on this list,
>>> and I'd always assumed it would be jen-NETT.  Which is correct or
>>> generally
>>> preferred and used among collectors?
>>> RayK
>>>
>> GEN-ett (with a hard G like in "gun") ?
>>
>> Chris Zwarg
>>

> That surprises me even more.  Was the label named after a person?  And if
> so, was the person's name pronounced this way?
> RayK

*******

It was a family involved with the Starr Piano Company in Richmond, Indiana.
The patron was Henry Gennett (1852-1922) who had 3 sons Harry, Clarence
and Fred. Fred was the one responsible for all those sound effects
Gennett made bread-and-butter money on for
almost 30 years!
Numerous Gennett family descendants still live in Richmond.