[78-L] Pronounciations and Odd Label Misspellings: Deep EllumBlues

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Fri Jan 2 06:27:05 PST 2009

There's a bit of that, I think, but what is closest to my ear, strangely
enough, is the old Boston Brahmin accent.  I once found an early antebellum
letter from a well-heeled Richmonder who was touring the principal Eastern
cities and he remarked on how much New Yorkers and Philadelphians were hard
to understand, but the Bostonians sounded like Virginians!  Naturally, he
was meeting folks of his own class, which clearly plays a role in accents.

Gregg