[78-L] Pronounciations and Odd Label Misspellings: Deep Ellum Blues

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Fri Jan 2 05:00:58 PST 2009

> What did people get water out of:  tap, spout or spigot?

I got mine from the faucet.

Being a New Englander, I had to re-learn many words the Virginia way.
Staunton is STAN-ton here.  Buchanan is BUCK-an-on, and Buena Vista . . .
well, I'm not even sure how to write that out. There is also a really
interesting Richmond-Tidewater accent, especially among the FFVs, that
pronounces words like house something like: HOOS.

This also reminds me of some of the famous mis-hearings = misspellings on
labels: "Far In the Mountain" for "Fire on the Mountain" and "Green
Mountain Poker" for "Green Mountain Polka," which is not a polka, but that's
another story.  Clearly on "Fire" someone couldn't quite figure out what a
Texas boy was saying!

Gregg