[78-L] Record your voice!

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Thu Jan 1 10:45:45 PST 2009

>Michael wrote--
>You can make a quality recording on a dictaphone.  These discs can't
>make a recording that can really be heard (see my other post.)  I'd like
>to see those newspaper stories since this is the subject of my Ph.D
>dissertation.

I love that dissertation.  I am quoting from it as I get closer to
finishing my own PhD.  I doubt this list allows me to post a jpeg
scan of a newspaper article, so I'll either send them to you
off-list, or summarize the ones that are not scannable-- the
not-scannable ones come from 1922, and 1927-- in 1927, evidently,
several station program managers used the dictaphone to make
recordings of shows in order to critique them.

Am I correct in saying that very few original (not fake, not
re-creations) recordings of radio shows from the early 20s have ever survived?