[78-L] Record your voice!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 1 10:22:06 PST 2009

Ken "Silver Showcase" wrote:
> Very interesting, David.  Do you have a year to go with this?
>
> -- Ken

I wrote about these zinc discs over 30 years ago in Record Research!  I
pictured this one and a couple of others that seem to be the same with
different labels.  1922 seems to be about when the Echo Disc and about
five other brands hit the market. All but one had paper labels.  There
is one brand that is a little larger and has an engraved label.
Eldridge R. Johnson's son Fennimore wrote in his book that his father
had discovered this principle in the 1890s when using zinc masters.
What happens is that when you shout into a phonograph horn the needle
vibrates in the blank groove and makes slight indentations in the zinc
that can be faintly heard.  It is almost impossible to hear, it is not
permanent because playing it smooths it out, and the disc can be
reused.  These pre-date the ucoated aluminum discs but share a patent.

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com