[78-L] Deep Ellum Blues

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Dec 31 20:24:09 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <bradc944 at comcast.net>
> ...  reminds me of a middle school teacher I had.  She was older, and
> spoke the same way.  Was always a hoot wen she announced that the class
> would be watching a 'Strip fill-em' that period... (of course meaning we
> were 'treated' to a filmstrip.  Yawn.)

Yup...that "L-M" ending, on MOST cases, was NOT pronounced as though it were
a diphthong (which it is...!). Thus, we hear "fill-um," and "ell-um"...the
creators of the
"English" language eventually resolved that problem by adding an essentially
useless
"N" to words such as "COLUMN" which all but cries out to be pronounced as
"COLL-UM!"

BTW...are there any words(in English) which end with "L-M" which should be
pronounced with the "L-M" ending...?!

...stevenc