[78-L] Schizophrenic Victor Scroll

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Dec 31 20:12:51 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <bradc944 at comcast.net>
> I  have a few scroll annd batwing Victors like that... it's not 'rare' but
> quite a curiosity :)

Both Victor and Columbia (I have no idea if the h&d labels did this...?!)
had a range
of label-blank sizes...which were selected and used according to the
available
"non-grooved" space for individual sides...!

AFAIK, this practice ended once the 3" labels became the Industry
Standard...?

Keep in mind that record labels were created in a two-step process:

FIRST, Acme Records decided how many labels were needed (Yes,
in advance!) for each issue.They had already had printed, and stocked,
a supply of "label blanks"...potential labels which included EVERYTHING
except for the side-specific information...and stockpiled them for future
use...!! In fact, Columbia files include an entry of "how many labels
are to be printed"...often mistaken for "How many copies WERE
pressed?!"

SECOND, the labels for XXXX-A and XXXX-B were printed by
adding the side-specific info on a second trip through the printing
press! One can OCCASIONALLY (more often with Grey Gull?!)
find records bearing labels on which the second run-through was
NOT perfectly aligned with the initial one...!!

...stevenc