[78-L] Deep Ellum Blues

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Dec 30 21:22:16 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> When I was 4 we lived on Elm Street in Toronto and I was sure it was
> pronounced
> "ellum".
> Anybody remember elm trees?

Yup...when I was mebbe 7 or 8, I was out in the side yard "helping" my
Gandma Buck
garden! I found a rather odd-looking (to me) plant, a couple of inches tall,
with mebbe
two leaves total...and asked her what it was; when she said "that's an elm
tree" (she
said "el-um!") I thought she musta been crazy!

I took it and planted it...and it grew into a VERY large, and very fine,
shade tree...
and then died of "Dutch Elm Disease," as did all the other elms in
Waynesville!

I currently have (in spite of my best efforts!) what LOOKS like an elm tree
right
VERY next to my verandah...which not only ISN'T dying, but which refuses to
stay "cut down!!" However, my Silver Maple (like the one in front of 211
Pape
in Toronto!!) was planted as a 2" seedling, and is quickly becoming a VERY
large tree (about 25' tall by my guess...?!)!

Hey, if all the Silver Maple seedlings in Toronto were carefully re-planted
in proper locations, the city could be a flourishing Maple forest in no time
at all! HOWEVER...DO NOT accidentally re-plant "Manitoba Maples"
(aka Boxelder trees!!!)...they are the world's tallest weeds...!!

...stevenc