[78-L] Reinventing the Discography Wheel (was: Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia, related) and Re: 78-L Digest, Vol 3, Issue 90

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 29 10:10:50 PST 2008

Nigel Burlinson wrote:
> For many internet years (principally using the site
> http://settlet.fateback.com/discography.html )
> I have been trying to compile a NUMERIC listing of Columbia/ARC matrix
> numbers in the series
> 140XXX to 152772
>
> Nigel Burlinson
> PS I don't have the Columbia Master Books, unfortunately!

HUH?????   Let me get this straight.  For many YEARS you have been
compiling a listing of twenty-three thousand items that has ALREADY been
compiled?????????  WHY????  This makes no sense.  What earthly use could
this be?  Why haven't you used your time -- it must be thousands of
hours by now -- compiling a matrix list that has not been done?  Such as:

David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:

 > > Nope..the Columbia books show only the Columbia matrix numbers,
 > > not theARC ones, and Ross Laird's Brunswick books stop when

> > Brunswick becomes part of ARC. Is this gap covered anywhere?
> > The Columbia books leave an even more infuriating gap in the
> > twelve inch masters by cutting off in 1931, even though
> > activity continued through '34.   dl

Are you doing your duplicated listing for posting or just for your own
use?  If it is for your own use you would have made better use of your
time at a copier with Vol 3 of the Columbia book because that is where
the entire list is.  Sure, I know the four volume set is expensive.  I
finally bit the bullet and bought it and the Brusnwick set and several
others last year because I know I had to have them.  There is a copy of
just Vol III on Allbris for just under $250.  If you had done this last
year there were copies for under $150.

Don't waste your time reinventing the wheel.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com