[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 3, Issue 90

Nigel Burlinson burlinson at orange.fr
Mon Dec 29 09:16:31 PST 2008

For many internet years (principally using the site
http://settlet.fateback.com/discography.html )
I have been trying to compile a NUMERIC listing of Columbia/ARC matrix
numbers in the series
140XXX to 152772 and I agree with the remarks you make.  It seems to have
been that at the end
of June/beginning of July 1934 that the 140000 series (which had reached
152772 at that point)
series was dropped in favour of the Plaza/ARC series which had started
around February 1923 (5001)
and by this time had reached 15381 (Wilmouth Houdini - July 2 1934).

Columbia continued to use this series (primarily for recordings originating
in New York)
for many years, certainly up to the early 1970's.

Nigel Burlinson
PS I don't have the Columbia Master Books, unfortunately!

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re:  Bunny Berigan on Brunswick 7784 "Where Are You?"
>      (Michael Biel)
>   2. Re:  Testing ^ (Steven C. Barr)
>   3. Re:  Xmas Music (Steven C. Barr)
>   4. Re:  Bing's WHITE XMAS (David Lennick)
>   5. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (Steven C. Barr)
>   6. Re:  Bunny Berigan on Brunswick 7784 "Where Are You?"
>      (Tyrone Settlemier)
>   7. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (Steven C. Barr)
>   8. Re:  Bing's WHITE XMAS (Randy Watts)
>   9. Re:  Transferring 78s to CD (Steve Ramm)
>  10. Re:  Bing's WHITE XMAS (David Lennick)
>  11. Re:  Electronic stereo and Schwann (was: Dubbed contemporary
>      matrix questions (Columbia related). (djwein at earthlink.net)
>  12. Re:  Christmas Music (Dnjchi at aol.com)
>  13. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (Royal Pemberton)
>  14. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (David Lennick)
>  15.  Washboard Serenaders (SoundThink at aol.com)
>  16. Re:  Bunny Berigan on Brunswick 7784 "Where Are You?"
>      (Michael Biel)
>  17. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (Royal Pemberton)
>  18. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (David Lennick)
>  19. Re:  Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).
>      (Royal Pemberton)
>  20. Re:  Christmas Music (Jack  Palmer)
>  21. Re:  Christmas Music (Michael Biel)

led>>

Those Beatles tracks are always fun to listen to!