[78-L] Christmas Music

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 28 22:39:18 PST 2008

Jack Palmer wrote:
> OK Mike,
>     You show the records but how would I ever hear them.  We got a radio
> when I was about 6 years old but never had a record player.  I am sure some
> Christmas songs appeared on the radio but not from records.  They would have
> been live in those days.  Were any recordings played on the radio at all in
> 1920 or 1930?  I realize I am changing my statement but I still feel
> deprived.    Jack

I cited the records because you asked if this type existed.  But it also
lists the songs that were a common part of Christmas during that era,
and once broadcasting was established these songs and others, including
long-form presentations of Christmas stories, would have been performed
on radio endlessly.  The playing of these recordings on the air would
not be necessary to indoctrinate all into the American form of Christmas
tradition.  And yes, local stations would play records, but not the
networks.  But someone listening to radio would have a much wider range
of performances than someone only listening to the records they happend
to have bought.  New songs get played over the radio constantly, but you
would have to get up and go out and buy a record of the new song in
order to hear it on your phonograph.  Same with new performers.  Or
performers doing new performances of new or old songs that they might
not have recorded yet.  All of the songs you seem to feel you were
deprived of by not having a phonograph were heard on RADIO FIRST.  RCA
Victor had a slogan "Music You Want, When You Want It." but how do you
know you want it if you haven't heard it yet.  So you are more likely to
hear a new song on radio than on your own phonograph.  So when Crosby
sang "White Christmas" on radio in Dec 1941 you couldn't have bought it
on record until the fall of 42.  The NEW traditions were made on radio
before they would get to your phonograph.   You weren't deprived, you
were better off.  Those who only had phonographs were worse off than
those with radios.

Make you feel better now??

Now ask ME how I would have become acquainted with the Hannukah
traditions!  You can count on your fingers all the Hannukah 78s that
were ever released.  Talk about being deprived and discriminated
against.  Oh, and by the way, your Christmas is over by now, right?  We
still have another day of Hannukah to go.  XM's Radio Hannukah is still
on the air while the Christmas channels are departing.  You're taking
down your decorations, dragging out your old dried up tree, throwing out
all the wrapping paper, and I am still twirling my dreidel,  wrapping
presents, and setting fire to the menorah.  Tough luck, old chap.

Mike (HAPPY HANNUKAH!!!!!) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com