[78-L] Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 20:50:32 PST 2008

Those Beatles tracks are always fun to listen to!

BTW, the last matrix I know of in the 140XXX/150XXX range is 152772,
'If it ain't love' by Chick Webb which was issued on Okeh 41571 and
others, recorded 6th July 1934.

The last of the lot released on Columbia itself is 152768, 'Born to be
kissed' by Ben Selvin, recorded 28 June 1934 and released on 2936-D.

Several earlier numbers plus a pair of imported sides make up the next
few issues in the D series.  The first issue bearing matrix numbers in
the ARC series is 2940-D, Johnny Green's orchestra performing two
numbers from STUDENT TOUR, 'A new moon is over my shoulder' (CO 15620)
and 'By the Taj Mahal' (CO 15621), recorded 13 August 1934.

Those aren't the lowest of these numbers in the series though.
Numerical pride of place belongs to Phil Regan's vocal versions of
those same two songs, 'Taj Mahal' (CO 15541-A) and 'New moon' (CO
15542-B) that appear on 2948-D, recorded a week earlier on 6th August
1934.  (Strange, but true:  This record's matrix numbers have those
letter suffixes to indicate the take numbers, and the lead out grooves
are the concentric type such as would be seen on a 1932 or 1933
Columbia record, and not the later, more recent eccentric type.  At
least on my copy!)