[78-L] Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 28 18:03:32 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <davdieh at aol.com>
> Columbia's numerology often had a bookkeeping function with mxs being
> renumbered as they were passed among Okeh, Odeon, Harmony, etc. "Twould be
> interesting to know if these 19's had the "W" prefix.
> Columbia's "numerology" presents a gazillion or so mysteries!

Aside from the regular series (140001 to 154???) we also have the
(presumably
dubbed) Harmony-.usw 100xxx as well as the 351xxx's...and a further variety
of odd numbers used for "extended-play" 78's (in different formats...each
one
with its own series...!) I have a couple of the "extra-length" 12"
discs...I'd have
to dig them up to see their matrix series...?!

I remain convinced Columbia started a new matrix series every time SOMEBODY
in the head office's laundry came back...?! Since the matrix numbers were
initially
assigned world-wide, they eventually got into the
hundred-thousands...offering
them a VAST choice of possibilities!

However, the REAL CBS/Columbia oddity was their decision to continue what
HAD been the Plaza/ARC series...5000 well into the 60,000's...?!

...stevenc