[78-L] Testing ^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 28 17:40:28 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>> Kenneth, what is the frequency?

To answer this question...

THE frquency is 740 KHz...a perfectly good and protected by International
treaties "clear channel" (NOT the mega-corporation, but a medium-wave
"AM band" frequency which was reserved for Canada after sunset, when
"skip" set in as the ionosphere lost its "sunburn"...! CBC gave this
frequency
up because too many Toronto AM listeners were complaining of "static"
generated  by downtown streetcars...and thus LOST a CHEAP and easy
way to broadcast to most of North America (including Canada's Arctic
regions...?!).

One wonders if CBC will abandon all its FM frequencies in favour of
"web-casting?" I used to listen to CBC in central Illinois via "AM skip"
while planning my northward move (accomplished in early 1977...!).

Meanwhile 740KHz is occupied by a meaningless station...! Our
vintage bureaucrats fought HARD for Canada-only clear-channel
frequencies (surely ONE of 'em was named "Kenneth?!") and I
tend to believe that its current users are blissfully UNaware they
can cover North America and vicinity "in a single bound!!" (of
radio waves, of course...eh?!)

...stevenc