[78-L] Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Dec 27 22:04:35 PST 2008

David Lennick wrote:
> This was when the companies had all but stopped issuing mono LPs, too. The real
> reason for fake stereo was that Schwann had relegated mono discs to its little
> brother, Schwann 2 instead of listing them in the main catalog.
>
> dl

When I set up the 1977 ARSC conference I had a panel of record producers
, and my real purpose in setting up that panel was to ask that
question.  I did, and they agreed that this was the real reason for
electronic stereo releases, not "public demand".  But then Schwann
caught on to the ploy and put electronic stereo over into Schwann 2!
How did the record companies retaliate?  They stopped MARKING the
records as either mono, stereo, or electronic stereo!!!!!!!  And so,
many companies stopped doing electronic stereo because why bother if it
will get into the main monthly Schwann by just not saying it was
anything but an LP!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com