[78-L] Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Sat Dec 27 22:04:01 PST 2008

 Reissues are hardly a good guide to what lurks in the vaults. Mosaic and Bear Family go the expense of tracking down the best available sources but that certainly was not the rule at CBS or RCA in the 1960's and '70's.

I recall a trip to the BMG archives a few years ago when a gaggle of interns arrived to fill a shopping list from some producer. They began to vent frustration at not being able to complete their task so I asked if I could help. Turned out they hadn't been told that issue numbers prefixed CAL were Camdens and not Victors. So much for in-house research. Most reissue projects didn't have the budget to order up fresh test pressings and had to utilize whatever was at hand; usually 78's from collectors or "the Altschuler Collection."

Columbia's numerology often had a bookkeeping function with mxs being renumbered as they were passed among Okeh, Odeon, Harmony, etc. "Twould be interesting to know if these 19's had the "W" prefix.
David Diehl

]> True, that  CL 2830 isn't exactly a sonic masterwork (ahem).  The