[78-L] Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 27 19:44:57 PST 2008

The files (i.e. the Columbia Books) explain WHAT was done but not why. Quote:

NOTE:- Matrix 149158 was rejected as such on all three takes [there were 3],
but each was dubbed onto a new master, numbered 194379 in sequence (so 149158-1
became 194379-1, 149158-2 became 194379-2, 149158-3 became 194379-3). No
explanation was given.

End quote. I don't know if this was done with other masters. I do know that
there were other instances of Columbia dubbing foreign masters, for no apparent
reason..some sides in the set of Glazunov conducting "The Seasons" are dubs,
and very poor ones, but an Italian pressing I picked up a few years ago is all
master pressings and the sides in question sound great, don't run onto the
label or start outside the normal perimeter or display any physical reasons for
needing to be rerecorded. One possible explanation is that the masters didn't
pass the "wear test", i.e. survive 20 playings without displaying unusual wear.
Some over-recorded or over-bassy discs had to be transferred with the bass
rolled off. Some recordings have been transferred because of physical problems
(grooves starting too near the edge), others because the turntable was varying
in speed and they hoped to correct this. In any case, because issues were
pressed from the dub, Columbia probably didn't retain the original takes.

That "unique piece of filtering equipment developed in the Columbia
laboratories" makde the old recordings sound worse than they ever did before,
as anyone with ears noticed.

RCA also reissued from a dub in one infuriating instance, and presumably the
original should have existed (maybe not)..the version of "You Took Advantage of
Me" by Paul Whiteman with Bix 'n' Bing in the Bix Memorial Album is a dub, and
that's what was used for LP reissues in the 60s.

dl