[78-L] Can 78 rpm needles be found for the USB turntables out there?

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Sat Dec 27 02:18:04 PST 2008

At 10:26 27.12.2008, you wrote:
>a 2.8 or 3 mil will sound a lot better for 78's than a .7 would!! Or
>is there some way to connect a regular turntable to a soundcard or
>usb port? Which would be the better choice? I just want to put some
>of my old 78's onto audio CD's for playing in my truck as I drive around.....

Any turntable / record player setup including a "tape", "line" or "aux" output can also be connected with your usual computer soundcard. The line in/out connectors of the soundcard can be wired exactly like a tapedeck, except you will need special cables to fit the 3.5mm "headphone" jacks often found on internal soundcards (for reasons of space) in place of the RCA plugs commonly used for Hi-fi equipment.

External (USB) soundcards mostly use RCA-type plugs for line in/out connections.

Then you will need software for recording the digitized input from the soundcard onto your harddisk and do basic editing; these come in many variants including freeware applications easily found on the Web. No rocket science, really!

Chris Zwarg