[78-L] Correction - First take of White Christmas

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Dec 26 21:13:01 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> Accidentally discovered some years back that I owned two TOTALLY
>> different
>> versions of "White Christmas!" Realized that the tune had been remade
>> after
>> the
>> huge sales wore out the original master/stampers!
>>
>> Finding the first version requires looking CAREFULLY at millions of Decca
>> 78's of the tune, comparing matrix numbers!
>
> Not really..the second version will always be on the Personality label as
> 23778
> or possibly a Gold Standard (or equivalent) reissue..the first one
> appeared
> only as 18429 or Canadian 10065, even when repackaged in the first "Merry
> Christmas" album.

Yup...BUT...18429/10065 appears with BOTH takes of the tune thereon!!

Since the record was selling as fast as they could be stamped, Decca didn't
bother with differentiating between versions...!

I would guess that buyers of the disc occasionally compared notes, and
figured out there were TWO different versions of the song sold to the
hapless public...?!

...stevenc