[78-L] Eartha Kitt

Robert Shirer rshirer at neb.rr.com
Thu Dec 25 22:26:33 PST 2008

I just received a wonderful gift of records, mostly lps, from a friend who
passed away a few weeks ago.  He was a lawyer, a singer, and a student of
languages.  He was 96, and he had had the same seats at the Lyric Opera in
Chicago since 1946.  His sister, who is 92, wanted me to have his records.
They are wonderful performances of opera and Lieder, frequently two or three
performances of the same opera with different casts and from different eras.

Where does Eartha Kitt fit in?  There were a number of  10" lps, including a
RCA Victor from the early 50s, with an amazingly sexy picture of Ms. Kitt.
The record is in beautiful shape, and it was with a strange sense that I
read the New York Times obituary for her today.

 I only have a week before I sign off again.  I'll be in Berlin for the next
5 and half months.  Christian, I hope I can buy you a beer.  When I get
back, I have about eight boxes of wonderful music to listen to.
Cheers all, and a Merry Christmas and very happy holidays to any who
celebrate.
Bob Shirer